Wednesday, 20 November 2013



D: 5.7km
A: 46m

St Kilda East - Yarra St x 15 - St Kilda East:
When I rolled out of home on my way to the HCC crits there were a few spots of rain, and a forecast for increasing precipitation density as the evening progressed. I wasn't confident that racing would be on. As I rolled up Chapel st I considered my options, I'd queued up the boys for an ergo session as a backup, but I figured there might be another option. Yarra St repeats.

I was surprised when D and B grades were sent off to start racing, but sure enough a few minutes later they were pulled and all racing was called off. I told rounded up a small posse of riders to come round the boulevard for some hard training, waited while a few offloaded bags at the bottom, then set off hard for 15 trips up and around.

I crested the turn into Studley Ave first, eased off the legs to let others catch up so we could form a bit of a group, and then swore when DK rolled past hard. At the time I thought he was a jerk for attacking, but in hindsight it was a counter attack to my own move. I picked him up next lap as we hit Yarra st again, but soon realised that I couldn't continue to play at his average pace. I dropped back, letting Richie from Artisan to play with him, and instead started playing with another rider who may or may not have been a Braunstein (seriously I'm not sure).

Around lap 6-8 I hit a bit of an emotional black hole. My body was telling me stories, my speed had dropped enough that I was struggling with traction in my lowest gear, and DK was well out of sight. By this point pretty much every other rider had pulled the pin, so I was riding solo in a world of hurt. I was there to train though, so quitting or shortcutting was never an option, I'd been prepared to do this circuit solo, so who cared if I was alone? It was around that point I realised I'd been dropping my head up the climb. I'd taken my eye off the goal, so the next few laps I made a point of keeping my head up high, staring down first the the corner, then the roundabout, and finally the crest.

My moods lifted, suddenly I was two thirds of the way through, then I caught sight of a pink clad rider. I struggled to work out who it was. All I knew for sure was it couldn't be DK, I figured he was a danger to lap me. I was wrong though. Wrong in a good way. It was DK, and I quickly closed to his wheel and found a him entering a bonk that got deeper as we closed out the last couple of laps. I left him on the final ascent, emptying my legs, pushing power that 6 laps ago had seemed impossible.

The data tells me I hit previous, or set new power PBs for 31 through to 65 seconds and I couldnt be happier. Well, maybe after a nap I'll be even happier, because right now I'm fair jiggered.

Strava link.

D: 49.1km
A: 1,080m

PMPW: 94kg


Steve Caddy said...


Unknown said...

Assuming power PBs on that first lap? You seemed to be in a hurry!

neil said...

Yeah, that first time up was probably a bit enthusiastic. On the other hand I feel like I could have gone harder if it had been the only one.